Northern Light Acadia Hospital
Department: Nursing Administration
Position is located: Acadia
Work Type: Full Time
To Apply: Resource Technician
The Resource Technician is a non-professional team member who performs patient care for personal needs and comfort and helps maintain an age appropriate therapeutic environment. Supports the standards and policies of Acadia Hospital and the philosophy of the Nursing Department. The work environment offers little privacy. Will be exposed to light and noise from computers, telephones, photocopiers and other employees and clients on the unit. Perform any duties and/or responsibilities assigned by Manager or Supervisor for which qualified.
• Respond to patient calls for assistance.
• Assists patient in cleaning rooms and making beds.
• Assists in keeping the unit neat and clean.
• Performs safety checks as assigned such as census checks, 15-minute checks, constant observations, constant companionship.
• Assists with the admission, discharge, and transferring of the patient.
• Performs patient and belonging search, orientation to the unit, explanation of patient’s rights, securing patient’s valuables.
• Assists patients in and out of bed as required; assists in ambulating patients as required.
• Make environmental rounds as indicated.
• Relieves staff for breaks and functions in their role until they return.
• Knows basic functions of the switchboard and provides breaks there as needed.
• May be assigned to a specific unit for part of the shift if a staff member becomes ill while on duty or if acuity on any given unit is high enough to require extra staffing.
• Reports all safety issues or dangerous situations to the House Administrator.
• Accurately documents patient care as described in the Policy and Procedures for Nursing Documentation.
• Knows safely practices and performs as necessary: seclusion and restraints (body and hands), infection control precautions.
• Reports observed changes in patient status to House Administrator.
• Supports the concepts of milieu therapy through patient supervision.
• Participates in all appropriate milieu activities.
• Encourages and facilitates patient participation in all appropriate milieu activity.
• Facilitates discussion regarding community issues/community living.
• Screens and direct telephone calls appropriately.
• Answers calls courteously.
• Relays messages promptly.
• Greets patients, families, and visitors, courteously giving them basic support and directions as needed with attention to age related needs.
• Greets physicians and other department personnel coming to the units courteously and assists or directs them in obtaining patient information.
• Obtains supplies and equipment.
• Works with House Administrator to coordinate patient care activities.
• Keep patient charts in proper order, up-to-date and complete. Adds forms as necessary and stamps with appropriate patient card. Thins chart appropriately.
• Assists Nurse Practitioner with physicals by copying pertinent material from the admission records.
• Types/word processes memos, meeting minutes, schedules, and other correspondence as directed.
• Assists with schedules – arranging for appropriate staffing when requested.
• Prepares packets of forms for admissions, transfers, and discharges.
• Photocopies, collates, files, distributes mail and messages and other clerical duties as directed.
• During fire drill or any emergency goes to unit where fire or emergency is reported to assist with patient needs.
• Organizes work to finish on time 90% of the time.
• Completes 90-100% of the work received/required on the shift.
• Ensures that work is completed professionally, accurately and efficiently.
• Obtains supplies, equipment, medications, and delivers specimens when necessary to facilitate patient care.
• Participates in audits as directed by the Nurse Administrator.
• Attends report at change of shift.
• Attends clinical supervision.
• Communicates all relevant data to the House Administrator.
• Attends team meetings when assigned.
• Attends internal and external continuing education programs and job-related seminars. Shares information obtained with peers. If unable to attend, assumes responsibility for obtaining the information discussed.
• Attends Grand Rounds, participates when appropriate; participates in communication meetings and selective committees requested by House Administrator.
• Carries out orientation program on a one-to-one basis for new Resource Technicians.
• Participates in Total Quality Management (TQM) activities as appropriate.
• Accepts other responsibilities as delegated by supervisors.
• Assist in maintaining a work environment free from recognized hazards that create a risk of injury to employees, patients or visitors and that all accidents and incidents are reported by employees and properly investigated. When appropriate, assist with the return of all workers with work-related injuries and illnesses to gainful employment.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
High School diploma or equivalent required and an Associate's Degree preferred. CPR required. 1-2 years of experience required.
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Continuous standing.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
* Continuous walking.