Register Nurses - Float Pool
Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Department: Float Pool
Position is located: Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time \ Part Time \ PRN
Work Schedule: Variable
To Apply Visit: Northern Light Health Careers
Then set the Company to: EMMC
And search Keyword: Float Pool
This Staff Nurse position is eligible to participate in our Professional Advancement Model which has SN, SN1, SN2 and SN3 levels.
Staff Nurse is a beginning practitioner who builds upon a foundation of theoretical knowledge and identifies aspects of care which can be recognized with limited clinical experience. This nurse is in a transitional period and is establishing a professional identity.
The Staff Nurse is a fully competent practitioner of nursing. The incumbent is responsible for the practice of nursing according to the Rules and Regulations defined in the State of Maine Nurse Practice Act, Northern Light Health Standards of Care/Practice, policies and procedures. The Staff Nurse is responsible for the delivery of patient care to assigned patients on a Nursing Unit, and for the supervision of other qualified staff to whom the Staff Nurse has delegated patient care in the exercise of his/her independent judgment. The Nurse plans and evaluates the nursing care for patients and families and exercises independent judgment in implementing the care him/herself or assigning the care to other qualified staff. The nurse addresses physical, spiritual, emotional and educational needs of the patient, and coordinates the plan of care with other healthcare professionals. The incumbent performs duties and tasks in accordance with performance standards established for the job.
• Promotes a safe and therapeutic environment by assisting with the planning and implementation of hospital policies/procedures and national safety goals, and proactively identifies workarounds that have a potential impact on patient safety. (Patient Safety)
• Recognized by peers as an expert in location, operation, care and trouble-shooting of unit equipment. (Patient Safety)
• Performs in-depth, discriminating assessments utilizing advanced knowledge and skills. (Clinical Assessments) Anticipate and detects subtle shifts in patient status and/or needs often before the presence of objective measurable signs, proactively responds and collaborates with providers. (Clinical Assessments)
• Demonstrates the ability to effectively handle actual or potential emergency situations calmly and directs others in such situations; is a “go to” person for difficult and emergency situations. (Clinical Assessments)
• Demonstrates the principle of “nursing presence” in all patient encounters. Approaches each patient as a unique human being to maximize patient’s involvement incorporating patients’ strengths to promote positive outcomes.
• (Code of Conduct)
• Utilizes critical thinking skills to assess each patient's care for missed opportunities. (Critical Thinking)
• Assists others in developing critical thinking skills for complex problem resolution. (Critical Thinking)
• Analyzes evidence based alternative methods to achieve optimal outcomes. (Critical Thinking)
• Documentation upholds the standard of practice reflecting adherence to hospital, regulatory and legal requirements. (Documentation)Recognized as a documentation systems expert.(Documentation) Completes population-specific mandatory education competencies as defined by the unit specific scope of service. (Population Specific Competency)
• Actively researches and implements population specific multidisciplinary care plans with patient and family involvement. (Population Specific Competency)
• Assists in development of population specific standardized care plans. (Population Specific Competency)
• Recognized as a unit or hospital resource on issues of cultural diversity and population specific care. (Population Specific Competency)
• Practice is consistent with Mercy policy and procedures. (Evidenced Based Practice & Research)
• Incorporates evidence and research to policy change and development. (Evidenced Based Practice & Research)
• Identifies opportunities to enhance clinical practice through evidence based research and collaborates with interdisciplinary colleagues as needed. (Evidenced Based Practice & Research)
• Active in education of evidence based practice changes. (Evidenced Based Practice & Research)
• Mentors others to develop appropriate time management skills. (Leadership and Professional Conduct)
• Meets the expectations for punctuality and attendance. (Leadership and Professional Conduct)
• Assists with the coordination of ongoing staffing needs, while demonstrating personal scheduling flexibility to support the needs of patient care areas. (Leadership and Professional Conduct)
• Contributes to a healthy work environment by holding all members of the healthcare team accountable for effective and professional communications. (Leadership and Professional Conduct)
• Takes leadership in identifying and actively resolving interdisciplinary conflict. (Leadership and Professional Conduct)
• Coordinates multidisciplinary plan of care while proactively anticipating potential patient care needs. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Serves as an interdepartmental resource for the coordination of internal and external resources to meet patient care needs. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Reassess, reprioritize, and coordinate the needs of the unit through collaboration with all members of the healthcare team. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Contributes to a healthy work environment by modeling professional behaviors and addressing conflict with the right person, at the right time, in the right location. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Identifies unprofessional behaviors and intervenes appropriately to facilitate positive conflict resolution. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Recognized as an interdepartmental resource in the care of complex patients / family interactions. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Resolves gaps within multidisciplinary care delivery. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Recognized as a positive, collaborative resource among colleagues, who is solution focused. (Collaboration and Teamwork)
• Acts as a resource and role model for effective resource management. (Resource Management)
• Takes responsibility for meeting education and mandatory programs, by completing hospital and unit-based competencies (CBO). (Professional Development)
• Obtains 24 Contact Hours or a 3 credit professional development course and 12 contact hours. (Professional Development)
• Serves as a role model for colleagues in the promotion and advancement of professional growth. (Professional Development)
• Takes leadership role to achieve at least one unit-based, Professional Practice, organizational or interdisciplinary goal. (Professional Development)
• Recommends/facilitates practice change based on evidence-based literature. (Professional Development)
• Maintains an up-to-date personal educational file on unit to demonstrate compliance with educational requirements. (Professional Development)
• Actively participates in the peer review process. (Professional Development)
• Achieves National certification in area of practice. (Existing PNIV - grace period- ending October 31, 2013 to obtain certification-no grandfathering) (Professional Development)
• Recognized as a resource to staff in regards to unit-based performance improvement priorities and nurse sensitive outcomes. (Performance Improvement)
• Participates in data collection, data analysis and implementation of performance improvement priorities. (Performance Improvement)
Competencies and skills:
* Applies Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of current and future trends that impact organizational success. Applies proven practices and business theories to get results that meet financial as well as other business goals. Recognizes opportunities for new services and products and acts accordingly, taking measured risks into consideration. Possesses a thorough knowledge of their field and independently carries out their work in accordance with professional standards of the profession.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Develops Self and Others: Takes responsibility for engaging in professional self-development activities and programs. Strives to gain insight into their own values, strengths and weaknesses, interests and ambitions and takes action in order to enhance competencies and skills when possible. As a leader, encourages and guides employees towards growth opportunities to enhance performance and help them reach goals. Reviews and analyzes employees' strengths and weaknesses to distinguish their talents and development needs, and to ensure they are enhanced appropriately.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Fosters Innovation: Employs and encourages the use of meaningful creativity in solving challenges. Proactively identifies opportunities and uses new approaches to enhance processes, systems and services. When appropriate, suggests or initiates new strategies, products, services, and markets.
* Influences and Inspires: Builds enthusiasm and commitment among others to move in a desired direction and models it personally. Creates a compelling vision of success that motivates workplace initiative and energizes others to follow. Provides direction and guidance to encourage cooperation between team members in order to attain an objective. Has the ability to appropriately influence others' actions and decisions with and without express authority.
* Word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, database experience and other computer related skills.
* No previous experience required.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Resolves Conflict: Promptly acts to find alternatives/solutions when team members disagree. Addresses issues in a direct, honest, and appropriate manner. Handles conflicting interests diplomatically and helps to solve them. Transforms difficult situations into teachable moments using respect and accountability .
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.
* Registered Nurse
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).